Thursday, January 28, 2010

Boot Camp!

The most important thing I learned from boot camp was probably how important revising is. I transferred into the class late, so I felt like I was a little behind and didn't understand the whole boot camp process as well as I could have if I had been enrolled earlier, but really what stuck out the most to me when I was finished was how essential revising is and how much it can really improve someone's and my own work. Although I didn't revise my first essay as well as I should have because I was so far behind, after writing my second essay on McCandless I realized how much it improved just by revising it a couple times. Throughout the semester, I plan to revise every one of my essays like no other. I learned a lot of tips and things that will help me with my writing from boot camp, but revising was what I found most significant from it.

4 comments:

  1. Same here. I used to revise my essays in high school, but I think I used to cheat myself out of the process. For whatever reason, probably laziness or procrastination, after receiving a final draft back with a grade on it, I would always find other careless errors. This semester will be different for all of us as we peer edit and what not, but I agree, revising is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revising is going to be a bitch. Usually when i write something it takes so long and by the time I am done then i don't want to read it, let alone revise it. And typically the only revisions i do are general punctuation and grammar, because i feel like i have written it correctly the first time. it seems as though that will be something i have to overcome in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes in High School my idea of revising would just to go through and make sure there were no silly gramatical erros. Now I have realized how much stronger my essay became when I take the time to fully edit my essay and see what I can do to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, revising is something that is a crucial part of writing an essay. Even though revising seems simple, I have a hard time with rearranging sentences and paragraphs to make it sounds better. I hope we can help each other revise and edit our essays to the fullest potential in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete